There is no safe level of lead in a body, yet the FDA
allows it in dinnerware, food, cosmetics
and many consumer goods.
Although we are more adept at recognizing the problem in children, adults are also highly susceptible.
Because lead poisoning is easily misdiagnosed,
knowing the symptoms is your best defense.
The effects are intermittent because the body is in a constant state of detoxification moving unsafe levels of lead from the bloodstream, into storage and back into the bloodstream for removal as waste over time. As the blood is cleared of poison, symptoms subside. When poisons are pulled from storage and re-enter the bloodstream, symptoms are active.
No one should expect every symptom and none should be considered a definite diagnosis. Accurate testing is not a blood test although traditional, Western medicine will suggest this method. An extended urine test with a chelator or a hair analysis is more accurate. Testing is a moving target and ever changing, but gives you a good idea of the metals the body might have stored.
The blood system is meant to clear the blood in order to keep the body alive. When it becomes toxic or poisoned, it begins to clear the blood by storing poisons in the body. Only acute, active poisoning can be read in blood. Once the toxin is stored in tissue, bone or fat cells, it can no longer be read in blood. That means that a clean blood test tells you nothing.
In the case of lead it is distributed to the brain, liver, kidneys, bone and teeth. It will store and be released when the blood is clear enough to manage further detoxification or when a chelating agent forces it to mobilize.
Because of the natural processes of the body it is easy to see that a blood test is simply the wrong test to identify how much lead is in the body. A test may on occasion show a positive result if there happens to be lead traveling through the bloodstream at the moment of testing, but in the case of poison already stored, the blood test will be ineffective. A lead poisoned body can easily, and most often, test negative when in reality the body has already stored the material to keep the blood safe.
Stored lead should not be considered safe. Storage can cause damage to the body which can slow down natural detoxification processes. When the body becomes overburdened, permanent damage can result.
Symptoms of Lead Poisoning
Difficulty Processing Thoughts
Decline in Mental Functioning
Loss of Coordination
Pain in Extremities
Tingling in Extremities
Fluctuations in Vision
Fluctuations in Hearing
High Blood Pressure
Weight Gain or Loss
Metal Taste in Mouth
In children look specifically for:
Poor Attention Span