There are a number of things
you can do on your own to
assist your body in
removing heavy metals.
After 30 years of trial and error, I would say this is a decent overview of what I might tell a friend to do if they were metals poisoned. Today there are more options and a lot more awareness of the problem even though still we are starved for information about metals poisoning and what to expect.
If starting out today, I would use Emeramed’s NBMI from the beginning. That would have saved me from years of pain, IV therapy and side effects. At the moment of this publication, NBMI is not widely available and is still within FDA trials.
For more information on NBMI and explore www.searchforthecausenotjustthecure.com.
Metals Poisoned and Not Sure Where to Start?
There is no on-size-fits all when it comes to knowing exactly how to best detox heavy metals. There are formal protocols, natural remedies, IV therapies and drugs. Ultimately what you choose is personal and should be decided from your own research. There are few true experts in the field.
The toxicity of your body is not a precise match to anyone else. That means symptoms and results vary. You can’t expect to have all of the symptoms reported and you can expect to find different ones.
I suggest you read all you can and incorporate that which feels right to you. Detoxing metals can be harsh, so the rule is slow and easy, while the urge to go fast is huge.
To be sure, your body is overwhelmed when it is poisoned. The body will attempt to keep your bloodstream clear by detoxing as fast as possible. When that becomes too difficult or there is too much toxicity, the body stores it in fat, tissue, organs and bones to keep you safe. That storage is what can cause unpredictable illness with seemingly no cause.
Pain and illness is your body showing signs of being overburdened. If you continue with a toxic lifestyle you are going to simply wear it out. To allow your body to focus on healing and detoxing metals that are stored, you have to give it less work. Less work for your body means a cleaner life with fewer chemicals and poisons.
Consider your daily use of chemicals in cosmetics, personal care products, cleaning products, pet products and garden supplies. They all add up to a daily detox workload for your body. If your body is busy working on reducing the chemical in your daily shampoo or soap, it just cannot focus as much time on removing your metals. What you eat also matters.
When you start to clean up your life, don’t forget your skin and lungs. They both absorb easily. What you breath and put on your skin matter.
Below are some topics and questions that most people ask. My answers are from my own experiences and from others who are in the same position. You should verify anything you read for yourself, remembering that the combination of toxicity for your body is unique to you.
If I have “Silver Fillings” am I Mercury Poisoned?
1. Yes, all “silver fillings” contain mercury.
2. To understand how fillings poison see the Smoking Teeth video linked below
3. These fillings are an ongoing source of contamination and danger.
Gut Health and Candida Testing
If you have metals poisoning, you can expect that your gut is suffering too. We casually call the problem “candida”. Keeping the gut happy is one of the most important things you can do to lessen symptoms including pain, illness, lethargy, psoriasis, eczema, nail fungus, brain fog, IBS and many more common complaints that are actually gut related issues. Rule out candida or Leaky Gut issues with the simple home test.
1. Candida testing for gut health is easy. Find the steps are at
2. Read more about symptoms and protocol at searchforthecausenotjustthecure.com.
Some background information you should have before detoxing metals.
1. You cannot clear the body of contamination with an ongoing source of toxicity. That
means that if you still have mercury fillings, and all silver fillings have mercury content,
you will not recover until they are safely removed. You can, however, assist your body
during this time by nutritionally supporting it, removing all other sources of toxicity
and eating foods that naturally assist in detoxification. Detoxing is not a remedy for
ongoing contamination, in fact, many say you should not formally detox while there are
mercury fillings in your mouth.
2. A medical professional, traditional or natural healer, will be a great asset.
3. Traditional doctors are not often well versed in metals poisoning treatments.
4. Insurance, currently rarely pays for metals treatment or proper testing.
5. Blood testing in not an appropriate test for metals testing. Although it can
show when there is contamination in the blood, it cannot show what is stored,
giving a false sense of security if a test says you are clear of metals.
6. Clearing the body of metals should be slow and deliberate.
7. No two bodies will react the same.
8. Combinations of poisons are far more dangerous than just one contaminant.
9. Your diet will be a factor.
10. Nutrition matters.
11. Expect your gut to be out of balance, causing candida overgrowth complications.
12. Never stop being involved in your treatment decisions. You will be the expert.
13. Metals hurt going in and coming out of the body.
14. You can never know exactly what to expect as symptoms and beneficial treatments evolve.
Removing Mercury Fillings:
1. Removal of mercury should only be done by a dentist who acknowledges the
dangers of the removal process and takes precautions to protect you.
2. It is not unusual for great sources of pain or symptoms to disappear immediately
when mercury is removed. Other issues require detoxing and still others could
3. Knees and hips are common pain centers with mercury fillings.
4. Patients have reported an end to medical conditions such a fibromyalgia, multiple
sclerosis and other neurological conditions after fillings are properly removed. There
is usually no medical confirmation of these changes that names mercury as the
cause. You cannot expect an instant cure or diminishing pain, but for those with the
experience, none reported the condition returning.
5. IAOMT is an organization of medical professionals who understand the dangers and
safe removal of mercury. Dentist referrals are available at www.IAOMT.org.
How long does it take to detox metals?
1. There is no single answer to how long it will take to detox a body.
2. Combinations of metals and poisons will affect the speed of clearing.
3. The health of the body is a factor in how efficiently the body can detox.
4. The length of poisoning will be a factor.
5. The amount of poison stored in organs and tissue will be a factor.
6. Detoxing metals can take years.
7. No one can predict exactly how efficiently your body will detox.
Is Metals Testing Necessary?
1. No, but it can provide an initial baseline.
2. Most will find they have an accumulation of more than one metal.
3. Regular testing can be expensive and not always necessary.
4. Tests can often show spikes in levels of metals which are explained by a release or
“dump” from storage in the body and back into the bloodstream.
Why and how to support the body during detoxification.
What is a chelator?
Will detoxing metals make me sick?
What are important life changes to be made?
1. Cleaning up your environment matters.
2. Eliminate all manageable chemicals in your day.
3. Cease using unsafe products on hair, skin and face.
4. Eliminate all poisons, in the form of household cleaners, soaps, detergents, cosmetics,
pesticides , detergents, scents and air fresheners. 5. Your food sources must be as clean as
6. Make sure your body is getting fed all day everyday with actual nutrients, not junk.
7. Find a source of clean water that is not dependent on plastic that can leach chemicals into the
8. If you filter water with reverse osmosis replace the minerals that are extracted.
9. Remember that skin is your largest organ and will absorb toxins as will lungs.
Can I begin detoxing heavy metals naturally on my own?
2. There are many foods that will assist in deleting metals.
3. Garlic may be one of the best detoxifying agents.
There are a number of things you can do at home to assist the process of detoxing, see
If you are incline to give nature a try, there are some very helpful natural sources of healing at
Foods that Detox
You can help your body help you detox. See the foods that help at
properly fed and
well cared for,
will work magic to
find wellness for you.
Your body detoxes and purifies naturally on a full time basis. There are multiple organs and systems that are responsible for moving toxicity out of the body. In the case of metals poisoning, or an overindulgence in toxicity, the body begins to store dangerous materials to clear the bloodstream and keep you alive.
In a healthy person, this storage often goes unnoticed, but once the burden becomes too high, the systems begin to break down and health deteriorates. The resulting signs of illness are the clues that your system is on the brink of danger.
In the simplest of visuals, when your body clears toxins from the bloodstream, it finds a safer place for it. That can be fat cells, organs, your brain and bones.
As the body become cleaner, it will naturally start to alleviate some of that storage. That means toxicity can be mobilize and be dropped back into the bloodstream to be removed as waste. That movement could instigate symptoms. That is why some days you can very sick while other days are far easier when detoxing.
A cleansing protocol can assist that process, as will food. The cleaner your system, the more availability it has for detoxifying and clarifying the body. The more you add toxicity to your day, the less time your body has to clear storage of toxicity.
Foods alone can do the job of detoxing and chelating heavy metals from the body. Foods can be used without other drugs or a formal protocol. Whether you choose a formal protocol or not, these foods offer support to the process.
Generally your food choices should be whole foods, not processed, prepared, manufactured, boxed or altered. Your choices should be free of pesticides, hormones, antibiotics and should be GMO-free.
Choose from a variety of colorful foods, herbs and spices. Keep your focus on mineral and nutrient rich foods that will protect organs and replenish the body.
In the case of animal protein, choose grass-fed protein to avoid GMO contamination through animal feed. Also choose protein that is free of antibiotics and hormones. In the case of fish, eat those that have a low potential for mercury contamination and do not eat farmed fish that are fed GMO feed, growth hormone and antibiotics.
Care should be given to support specific areas of the body where metals are likely stored like the liver, kidneys and brain. Eating foods that protect those organs is a good idea.
Foods that Support Detoxification include:
Cilantro, Coriander is known to be a strong mobilizer of metals. It is one of the few chelators that will cross the blood-brain barrier and so, is very important to removing metals. Although cilantro is a tremendous mobilizer it can mobilize more metal than your body can readily excrete. When this happens the excess metal can be reabsorbed and/or cause you to feel ill. You can take it with pectin, chlorella or charcoal to help absorption.
Garlic alone is likely powerful enough to detox the body of metals. Eating 3 and more cloves a day will add high levels of Vitamin C and B6 to the body while it binds to metals and helps the body detox. Cutting or crushing helps to release allicin effectively. Garlic is antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-parasitic and is a natural boost to the immune system.
Sulphuric Foods are helpful detoxifiers and include broccoli, cabbages, bok choy, mustard, watercress, asparagus, parsley, garlic, onions, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, chives, collard greens, green beans, kale, sweet potato, spinach, split peas, leeks, tomatoes, peas, shallots, jicama, avocados and turnips.
Dark Green Vegetables help reduce metals in the body.
Omega 3 Foods such as fish, eggs, nuts, flax, chia and leafy vegetables will help reduce pain and regulate hormones that can improve brain fog and depression. High sources of omega 3s are mackerel, salmon, cod liver oil, walnuts, chia seeds, herring, flaxseeds, tuna, white fish, sardines, hemp seeds, anchovies and egg yolks.
Brazil Nuts and Sunflower Seeds are good sources of selenium which is a natural detoxifier of metals. Other sources like dairy, grain, meats and fish can be tainted sources. Brazil nuts have the highest levels of selenium.
Pectin Foods have the ability to bind to metals and help remove them from the body. Apples, peaches, oranges, grapefruit and all citrus contain the highest levels of pectin.
Meats, Eggs & Fish contain amino acid proteins that are important aids in detoxing metals. They serve to aid liver health and enzyme production.
Supplements that Support Detoxification include:
Wheatgrass is 70% chlorophyll that is rich in protein, amino acids and minerals. It is known for its healing powers and for purifying the liver.
Chlorella, known as a superfood, is an immune system boost and nutrient rich with vitamins, minerals, protein, magnesium, zinc and iron. In the case of heavy metals it binds to escort the dangerous material from the body. When used with cilantro, which mobilizes metals, it is an effective assistant.
Milk Thistle is a liver detoxifier that will not only purify the liver but help to repair damage from heavy metals. It will fight free radicle damage and is rich is vitamins C and E.
Pectin is found in fruits like apples, blackberries and cranberries or in capsule form. Its properties pull heavy metals and contaminants from the blood. You can also buy it in supplement form.
Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant and will reduce the damage caused by metals contamination.
Probiotics are helpful in maintaining gut health. Metals in the body create the perfect environment for candida overgrowth that can eventually lead to Leaky Gut Syndrome and malnutrition. Probiotics feed the bacteria that balances candida overgrowth and can be obtain in capsules or fermented foods. Candida can become resistant to probiotics, so changing them periodically is a good idea. Testing for candida is simple with the instructions at
Food Grade Charcoal has enormous absorption qualities and is very inexpensive. You can dissolve it in water or take by capsule.
Avoid or Abolish:
GMO Crops and Manufactured Foods containing them
Foods with additives and other than natural preservatives
Fish that could contain mercury and toxins
Meat that has been treated with hormones or antibiotics or fed GMO grain.
Nature holds a remedy
for almost everything.
You might find some
you really like.
Give Nature a Try!
The opportunities for natural healing are endless. Here are a few ideas that focus on pain and address the symptoms of chronic conditions.