to help dispell the myths that say small amounts won't hurt you,
dental fillings are safe, no one uses mercury in fillings anymore
and that your body can manage mercury.
None of these is supported by agencies like the UN, WHO, US Geological Survey or the EPA.
• Mercury is considered one of the most toxic elements on earth
• Approximately 50% of the material in "silver" fillings is mercury
• About 30 tons of mercury is used annually in US dentistry and about 300 tons is used globally
• Dental amalgams are the leading end-use of mercury in the US per the 2010 US Geological Survey
• The US EPA claims dental office mercury waste is the largest contributor to public owned treatment centers
• Dangerous levels of mercury vapor can be measured inside and outside of dental offices using amalgams
• Fish are contaminated with mercury through water waste, crematorium incineration waste and municipal sewage
• The United Nations Environmental Program in 2010 claimed crematoriums released 3.6 tons of mercury
• Mercury can be absorbed by the skin, lungs or ingested
• Mercury vapor can be absorbed into the bloodstream and then stored in organs and the brain
• A fetus can be affected by the mercury in a mother's teeth as can a newborn through breast milk
• Most consumers are unaware that "silver" fillings contain mercury
• There is no informed consent necessary before using mercury in a patient's mouth
• Consumers who opt for composite fillings usually do so for cosmetic reason, not from knowledge of mercury dangers
• The WHO claims dental fillings contribute to more mercury toxicity of the human body than all other potential
• 122 million human bodies exceed the safe levels of mercury as established by the California EPA from fillings.