PRODUCTS CLAIMING TO HAVE ESSENTIAL OILS
ARE NOT NECESSARILY WHAT YOU EXPECT.
The product reviewed was the Lavender and Almond Essential scent. Here is the advertising from the Airwick website:
New AirWick Essential Mist diffuser automatically transforms natural essential oils into a gentle, fragrant mist to surround you with the fragrance of fresh, natural Lavender and delicately sweet Almond Blossoms.
- NATURAL FRAGRANCE EXPERIENCE: Infused with natural, fragrant essential oils and naturally diffuses fragrance with mist
- BEAUTIFUL: Its elegant, compact, portable battery-operated design enhances any décor
- LONG-LASTING: Provides up to 45 days of continuous fragrance per refill on low setting
- ULTIMATE FRAGRANCE CONTROL: Adjustable intensity and frequency of mist for a room that is fragranced just right, no matter its size
- IDEAL FOR MEDIUM - LARGE ROOMS: Such as living room, kitchen, study & office spaces
People suffering from perfume hypersensitivity should be cautious when using this product.
USE ONLY AIR WICK REFILLS, USE IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS, STORE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE,
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS.
DO NOT: USE DAMAGED UNIT, USE CONTINUOUSLY, OBSTRUCT AIR FLOW, PLACE NEAR SOURCE OF HEAT/DIRECT SUNLIGHT, USE IN SMALL CONFINED PET AREAS, USE IN SLEEPING AREAS, INHALE VAPOUR DIRECTLY.
Below are the ingredients listed for the product. According to EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Data Base, found at ewg.org, the product is made of ingredients that present a moderate danger. Their rating system is 1-10 and includes thousands of ingredients and brand name cosmetics. The ingredients for this product are reported to have danger ratings from 1-6.
isoparafin, rated as a #1
fragrance unknown ingredient, remains unrate
linolool , rated as a #5
hexyl cinnamon, rated as a #5
citronellol, rated as a #5
d-limonene, rated as a #6
geraniol, rated as a #7
alpha-isomethyl lonone, rated as a #5
Even though the risks can be categorized as moderate, anything absorbed by the lungs must be detoxed if the body cannot use it, making extra work for your systems. Considering that this level 5 danger is offered as 45 days of continous use, the burden to the body is substantial. Pure lavender essential oil is a #1.