The symptoms of mercury toxicity vary and are rarely diagnosed as mercury poisoning. The effects to individuals have a wide range because of the many factors that allow its manifestation to differ. General health, diet, type of exposure, length of exposure, amount of exposure, genetic predispositions and the existing body burden in terms of secondary toxicity, all factor into the type and magnitude of symptoms. Symptoms can be ever changing, be intermittent and can be affected by diet and environment.
Because the body stores dangerous toxicity in tissue, bone and organs to keep the bloodstream healthy, there is the possibility that mercury is in motion at any given time, causing a change in symptoms. Without notice one might experience severe symptoms, new symptoms, recurrence of past symptoms or have a symptom-free day.
One who is mercury toxic will likely have a very difficult time being diagnosed. Mercury toxicity is rarely recognized and testing is not on the radar of traditional Western medicine. Because of the constant movement and storage of toxicity, a blood test will often give inadequate results. Western medicine will more likely treat the symptoms rather than searching for the cause of the symptoms, leaving mercury to react with the body from storage areas.
Because symptoms of mercury toxicity can slowly alter the body's functioning, it is often overlooked. IQs become lower, physical abilities diminish and skills falter without alarm at first. After years of toxic exposure, as with dental amalgams, symptoms can become more predominant. Often the evolution of symptoms comes with age and is mistakenly assumed to be signs of aging.